Thursday, October 6, 2011

It’s Denim Drive Time in the Bluegrass!

The Denim Drive has become an annual thing at UK. The program is run by Cotton incorporated and our school’s MAT club and they use the denim that they collect to make insulation for houses. The company requires that every college that participates in this program collect 500 pairs of jeans but UK always goes above and beyond that. The MAT club usually has the 500 pairs collected before the drive even officially starts. We are always the top school in this program by a lot. 




Did you know that you can not only donate jeans, but all other kinds of denim as well?  This means you can donate anything from an old denim top, to a jean skirt, colored denim, and even denim with all kinds of embellishment. The members of the MAT Club have been hard at work collecting the denim that has been donated thus far. The denim cannot just be thrown into a pile. It must be collected, counted, folded, stacked, and tied into piles of ten pieces of denim.  Just five hundred pieces of denim can insulate one home! The MAT Club wants to be able to help and insulate many homes through the denim drive. I am really inspired by the whole denim drive project. I hope that everyone looks at the denim and is inspired, like I am, to donate their old denim knowing that it goes to good cause; to help people have well-insulated homes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that UK participates in the denim drive every year. This is obviously a great cause because it goes to helping others that are less fortunate. I think this is something everyone can get involved in because we all have some old denim around the house that we don't wear anymore. College students often look for ways to give back and help the community and this is one thing we all can do to help. I had no idea UK is always the top school in the program to donate, but I think it speaks to the generosity of the students and the power of the big blue nation!!

-John Tewes

Anonymous said...

I think its great that the MAT club is participating in this denim drive and it's impressive that they usually reach their 500 pair requirement before the drive even starts. I have so many old pairs of jeans in my closet and I'm really glad that I can now recycle them instead of just throwing them out. I'm definitely going to ask my friends and family members if they have any denim they'd like to recycle too.
-Mackenzie Davis

Kelsey Hinton said...

The Denim Drive is a great way to help people out because everyone needs an insulated house. It is also a very easy thing to contribute. Everyone has old jeans that they don't like or that are too small that would be easy to give. With the number of kids at UK it is not surprising that the MAT club usually receives well over 500 pairs. It is great that the MAT club is willing to take on the task of getting everything together!

Tyesha Clayton said...

This just goes to show how much UK can make an impact in our country's communities! The denim drive is something that everyone can help with. I have never met a person that didn't have a piece of denim in their closet. If one person on campus donated one piece of denim, the results would be outstanding. This is such a great cause and is so easy to do. It really isn't asking much from us at all, just denim, stuff we get rid of all the time as the years go by. I'm definitely spreading the word!

Amy Mittenzwei said...

I think it's great UK participates in the denim drive. It is really interesting that they take all types of denim, it probably helps them get even more donations. It seems like the denim drive is really organized which also helps it to be sp successful. I'm really excited to see how much denim the MAT club is able to collect this year.

-Amy Mittenzwei

Anonymous said...

I love that our class has the opportunity to able to participate in the denim drive. I think that it is awesome UK participates in it as a college too. I have seen many different places around campus to drop off pairs of jeans for the denim drive. I hope that are class can reach the goal we were given!! It shows how kind everyone at uk is, it shows me that we really can make a lot of things happen when UK comes together. Everyone is so nice to donate old denim that doesn't get worn.

-Lexy Ball