Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Men's Accessories Around Campus


At a university as large as UK, there are inevitably going to be a lot of guys with a lot of different styles. There are, however, a few standout accessories that men wear around Lexington that draw some attention. One accessory frequently exhibited by men around campus is the use of skateboards. This picture was taken of a young man casually riding his skateboard to class as he does every day. We constantly see males going to work around campus or carry their skateboard into class. This may come as a surprise to many, but to Thomas Painter, a communications major at UK, it’s pretty simple.  “I really enjoy skateboarding and it’s faster to get to class than walking,” he said. “It also keeps me from spending money on gas so it’s a win/win situation.” While we all try to budget our money in different ways, I think this phenomenon becomes easy to understand. When asked if winter would deter him from coming to class on his skateboard, Thomas said, “No, I just want to get out of the cold as soon as possible.” As we continue to try to use our time and money more efficiently, it’s not hard to see why many guys are turning to skateboarding. 
Given the large number of greeks at UK, it would be almost impossible to walk across campus without seeing at least one guy dressed in stereotypical “frat” clothing. The usual uniform for a fraternity member includes several basic items: khaki pants, button up shirt or polo, tie, and occasionally a black or navy blazer. Common accessories that can be added to complement the “frat image” are Sperry topsiders, sunglasses with croakies, and a Lexington staple- the needlepoint belt. Needlepoint belts are hand-stitched and often customized with the guy’s initials, fraternity letters, or favorite hobbies. On any given Monday, this type of outfit is seen far more often, because most fraternities at Kentucky require their new pledges to dress up at the beginning of each week. This kind of attire gives the men at UK some southern charm and adds diversity to the typical jeans-and-tshirt look that is seen on most male students around campus.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was really surprised to see so many guys dressed up for classes when the frat rush week was over. I never realized that was the big thing with fraternities, but it really does separate the Greeks and non-Greeks on campus. I love the trends of Sperry Topsiders and boys dressing in the more preppy way because it makes everyone look so clean-cut and put together. On the other hand, I hate that I may end up sitting next to a guy dressed so nice while I am in shorts and a tee! The guys trends on campus are really apparent and it could not have been summed up better than in this blog.
Nicollette Weis

Danielle Bardgett said...

I think that having them dress so nicely definitely makes them stand out. When you see the guys that are dressed like that you automatically know that they are in a frat. It draws a lot of attention to the greek system. I think it's interesting to see the mens trends because normally when we think of fashion and trends we always think of women's clothing. It's interesting to pay attention to the men's trends as well.

Holly Sackett said...

When I first came to UK, I could never understand why the guys got so dressed up for class! Someone eventually explained to me that it was guys in frats who dressed up but I am still surprised at how fashionable a lot of the guys on campus are. I've seen a lot of guys who are wearing more trendy and fashionable clothing. I'm not sure if it is because of the large greek population we have here or if it is because guys here are more fashionable! I've noticed that when I am home and when I visit my friends at other schools, guys are generally not as well dressed as they are here. I feel like guys are starting to become the fashionable ones around campus!

Hannah Cornett said...

I love how the frat guys dress up at UK! I went to a high school where baggy T shirts and oversized gym shorts were the main trend for guys. Seeing the guys around campus dress like such southern gentlemen is such a relief and gives me some hope for future of our generation. Even when they aren't in coat and tie apparel, they still dress very handsomely with buttoned down shirts and khakis. I love it! They look so respectable.

Sydney Fulkerson said...

I love seeing guys dressed for class wearing a button down and a blazer. It's so classy and shows that their dedicated to their frat by following dress code. I even know guys who have to shave their face during the week because they can't have facial hair. I think this shows discipline as well. I've also noticed a lot of skateboarders like the article mentioned. I would've never guessed that there would be so many skateboarders, but I do see a lot on my way to class as well as people practicing on the basketball courts near the Johnson Center. Another guy trend I've noticed are the frat straps for sunglasses and Sperrys for sure. I don't know if they're just falling into the "frat trends" or if they truly like this preppy style. Regardless I like seeing the different trends of guys on campus.

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the frat guys all dressed up! It really makes them stand out. I also really love the needlepoint belts. I would love to learn how to make one because they are such a cool way to show off individuality. It was a really good idea to include skateboards in here, I see them everywhere! The best combination is a guy with fratty style riding around a skateboard.

-Jackie Basta

Kristen Wathen said...

I was just talking to my friends about seeing several guys riding to class on skateboards recently. I thought it seemed unusual, but after reading this blog post, I realized it can be practical because there is shorter travel time and no gas costs. I have seen more skateboarders this year at UK than ever before. The frat guys at UK certainly do stand out. But they do look handsome and polished in their dress clothes. Men at UK are definitely setting fashionable trends and showing everyone how to dress like a Southern gentleman.

Anonymous said...

I love to see the new pledges walking around campus dressed in shirt and tie, suspenders, and Sperry Topsiders. It creates a fashion trend all throughout campus, and I am always looking to see what they will wear next. It has really become a statement for all fraternities to have the "best looking" pledges on campus. Every once in a while you will see girls dressing up for class or for a special occasion on a particular day, but it has become a normality on campus to see the boys dressed in their best. This tradition really reminds me of the style when colleges first began. Everyone was expected to dress their best to attend class. Now, it is by choice, but it makes campus a much more interesting and fun place to be!
- Rebecca Ellington

Anonymous said...

I am surprised by how many people ride skateboards around campus. Normally I see people riding bikes, but skateboards seem like a better idea knowing you aren't going to get your skateboard stolen or messed with because you don't have to lock it on a bike rack. There are a lot of freshman this year in fraternities and i feel like in some of my bigger classes I am surrounded by people wearing khaki's and ties. It is very easy to spot out people who are in Greek life and those who are not on campus.
-Nick Hanneken